In the middle of the night on Monday, the landlords of the landmark Long Island City graffiti mecca 5Pointz began whitewashing the building, covering forever two decades of artwork and an important part of our collective culture. Today we’re sharing a few of our favorite photos from a recent visit in honor of every artist who shared their work with all of us.
Respond with your photos and we’ll continue sharing in memory of all of the artists involved.
So glad I went before this happened.
This place needs to be saved. #5POINTZ #nofilter (at 5 Pointz)
Good lessons for people learning how to code.
- DON’T PANIC
- BE PATIENT
- FAILURE HAPPENS. IT’S NOT PERMANENT
- ONCE AGAIN, STOP WORRYING ABOUT FALLING DOWN AND JUST DO IT, YOUR FACE WILL BE FINE, IT’S ONLY A METAPHORICAL FALL
- THINGS WORTH DOING TAKE TIME AND EFFORT
- ROME WASN’T BUILT IN A DAY. SHUT UP, I KNOW IT’S A CLECHE. ROME WASN’T BUILT IN A DAY, ROME WASN’T BUILT IN A DAY. ROME WASN’T BUILT IN A DAY.
- STOP EXPECTING TO UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING THE FIRST TIME YOU READ IT.
- FRUSTRATION IMPEDES LEARNING. DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED, GET DETERMINED. THIS IS A LONG DISTANCE RACE, ENDURANCE TRUMPS SPEED.
So. I was making a cake. The oven went out and instead of admitting defeat, I’m throwing the batter in a Dutch oven on the grill (at amangansett)
Algorithms that design structures better than engineers
(200px tall x 600px wide beam supported on the left hand edge and with downward force applied to the bottom right.)
You are watching an optimisation algorithm come up with the best design completely automatically. The outcome is greatest stiffness shape possible for a given amount of material. And amazingly it’s a nuanced truss that isn’t far removed from the look of most motorway bridges. That’s pretty reassuring, actually.
Wish we had developed this technology back when I was working on more strucutural items
Enjoying my @Artsicle employee perks. ‘Porch’ by Ben Boothby
It’s incredible that this image was made without a computer. Hand stretched/stitched those squares.